Carp Fishing – Tiger Nuts – Great Bait for Carp Fishing
When it comes to bait, there are some that say that tiger nuts rank among some of the best baits out there to use for carp fishing. However, there are a lot of anglers out there that simply don’t know how to use them correctly and to get the best out of the bait. So it is a good thing for anglers to try to learn more about these baits in order to enjoy the benefits that they can reap from them.
Even though you can buy the bait already prepared, often times if you learn to make your own you will gain two advantages over the ones already prepared. First it lets you add any extra ingredients you might want to add to customize your own particle bait. Second, if you happen to use a lot then by making your own, you are going to save some money by doing so.
You will find that it is really easy to tell the difference between the prepared baits and the unprepared tiger baits. The ones that are prepared will be stored in juice that it has been cooked in and this makes them swell and they are bigger and are smoother than the ones you make yourself. What is good about tiger baits is that when you make them yourself you can make them whenever you feel like doing so and then just put them in the freezer for future use. After you make them, just wait for them to cool off and then pour them into a plastic bag, liquid and all and freeze them. They will stay in great condition for up to twelve months in the freezer.
When you do make your own tiger nuts, it is really important to remember to use the same water they have been soaking in. The reason for this is that some of the flavors will have gone into the water and you don’t want to lose any of your flavor from your bait. This is especially important if you have added some of your own ingredients to the bait.
[callout title=How to Prepare Your Own Tiger Nuts]
- Take the nuts and cover them with some water and let them soak overnight.
- Take the water and the nuts and put into a pan and then bring the mixture to a boil.
- Let the mixture simmer for 20 to 30 minutes.
- Let the bait cool before doing anything else.
- You can use it right away or you can bag it up and then freeze it for later use.[/callout]
If you want your own tiger nuts to take on a different flavor or a different smell you can easily do so by adding any additive that you want right into the water. For instance you can add a handful of some sea salt which helps the taste of the bait. You also can add anywhere from 3ml to 5ml of Betalin per 1kg of the dry tiger nuts that you have.
Tiger nuts are really loved by all carp and that makes it a very effective type of bait to be using. However, it is only going to work if you prepare your bait properly. Even though you don’t really have to add anything to the bait, you still may want to consider the salt idea since carp need salt in their diets and often times they don’t get as much as they should have from their fresh water lakes they live in. So, this makes them attracted to the salty taste as well. The reason why Betalin was suggested is the fact that this is a very sweet flavor and they just go crazy over the sweet taste.
Another good thing about tiger nuts is the fact that they are small and light so they compare to the natural foods the carp are use to finding in their natural habitats. They also are irregular in their sizes and shapes, so each tiger is actually different from the next one. There is a sugary type of milk that comes from tiger nuts and this is something else that will attract the carp to your bait. Another advantage of tiger nuts is that they are crunchy and for some reason carp seem to like to eat crunchy foods.
Be aware that there are tiger nuts you may want to avoid. The reason is that there are some that are imitation tiger nuts. If it is a true tiger nut with the right taste and milk content, they need to be grown in a certain area. This area would be right outside of Valencia, Spain. The climate there is ideal and the soil has all the right ingredients in it to give the tiger nuts that distinctive taste they have. Sure, there are a lot of tigers grown all over eastern parts of Europe but they seem to have less tasted are much smaller and are not as attractive as the ones from Spain.
[callout title=How to Make a PVA-Bag Mix Carp Will Love:]
- Take a handful of crushed nuts and then add a few whole tiger nuts into a large tub.
- Now take some dry, powdered nuts, Hinders Nutz mix is a good one, use about a good sized handful of the powder.
- Next mix all of it together in the tub.
- Next get some Tiger Slime and pour a small amount of that into the mixture in the tub.
- Mix all of it well and you will have a great bag mix that can be formed into balls for bait.[/callout]This mixture seems to be one that simply drives the carp crazy whenever it is used, so it might be worth the little time and effort it takes to make it.Note to remember, if you make your own tiger nuts, don’t think that you have made them incorrectly if they feel a little hard to you. They are suppose to be a bit crunchy, but they will still be soft enough for you to be able to push your baiting needle through when you are ready to do your carp fishing.